Sunday, June 13, 2010

Dad's Meatloaf made-mini !

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. sausage (I tried turkey sausage for a lower fat option)
2 eggs
1/2- 3/4 cups milk
1 medium onion chopped
3 TB worchestershire sauce
1 big squish of BBQ sauce
about 8 oz of salsa
2+ cups of corn flake crumbs
liberal sprinkling of:
garlic powder
salt
pepper

Really this is one of those recipes that you kind of play around with just to find the right consistancy and depending on what taste you like!
Combine all ingredients into a large bowl and mash with your hands (yuck- most times I am able to talk Nick into doing this part.) Add cornflake crumbs last, and continue to add until the mash is a moldable consistancy and can be shaped.

At this point you have a choice to make. 1- take the whole bowl and pat it into a loaf pan thus making a meat "loaf." This is the choice that my Dad has always gone with. 2- Take handfuls of the meat stuff and shape into individual portion sized loafs and place on a cookie sheet. I personally make them potatoe shaped, and the last time I made them I divided the recipe into nine balls. Really no rules on this, however I did kind of depress a hole into each portion in hopes of having the inside cook better. This depression however did collect some of the grease that I was hoping to collect by placing each loaf on a piece of bread (see picture below) so I don't know for sure if I will do it again.

This recipe was a huge hit with both Drew (very picky eater) and Will. They loved dipping theirs in ketchup.



No comments:

Post a Comment