Monday, January 31, 2011

Our favorite chicken tacos

This recipe is super fast and easy, most ingredients are at hand in my kitchen and it is different enough that I don't feel boring when I serve it. No one wants to be a boring cook... right?

Ingredients:

2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup tomato puree (I use a can of diced tomatoes in my blender, and end up using most almost a whole can- depending on what consistency you like)
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
a big handful of raisins (recipe calls for golden but I have used both and just end up using whatever I have on hand)
Your choice tortilla shell (I prefer the crunchy corn shells because it seems like we use flour for just about everything Mexican or not at our house. Nick still prefers soft flour shell.)
Toppings: cheese, tomatoes, green onions, avocados, lettuce, olives... the more the better...really!

Cut chicken into small bite sizes (I like to use partially frozen chicken because it is WAY easier to cut to the size that I want it.) Brown chicken bites with the oil, garlic and onion. When chicken is cooked, add the tomato puree, chili powder and cumin. Last add raisins and cook just long enough that the raisins absorb some of the other moisture and are tender instead of chewy. Spoon filling into shells and top with what you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment