Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Italian Potatoe and Sausage Soup

Ingredients:

1 lb. Italian sausage
3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into soup size bites
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 can real bacon bits ( you can replace with real bacon if your "really" in the mood to cook it)
2 cloves garlic minced
2 C. kale, chopped*
2 cans chicken broth ( I never use broth I always use water and bouillon powder- I think it comes out to be about 3 1/2 cups water and 3 1/2 tsp. bouillon.)
4 cups water
1 C. whipping cream

* (I didn't know how to handle kale so I looked it up) To chop kale: remove leaves from the bunch. Fold in half and cut out the stalk. Roll remaining leaf portion into a cigar-type roll and then chop down the roll. Set aside until later

Brown sausage and drain on paper towels. Combine onions, potatoes, water, broth, and garlic. Boil until potatoes are tender. Add sausage and bacon and simmer an additional 10 min. Stir in cream and kale and then cook an additional 5 min to slightly wilt the kale, then serve.

For some extra spice you can either use hot Italian sausage OR I just added red pepper flakes to my own serving because of the mild preference of most of my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment